Friday, June 18, 2010

Look Beyond What You See

As human beings we each have innate abilities to overcome any situation and to learn and grow.  Our experiences in life are supposed to aid us in our spiritual development, but the physical side of our realities usually trumps the metaphysical side.  It is our humanity that makes this so.

As a college student, I took a class on dream interpretation.  I was truly fascinated by the concept of decoding the symbolism in our dreams.  Through that class I learned that as we are sleeping our dreams are meant to teach us lessons and that seldom are they about what they seem to be about.

For instance, a dream about death is really not about death in the physical since.  Death dreams symbolize the need for something in our lives to "die" in order to make room for something new to take its place.  That something could be behaviors, relationships, thoughts or any number of things that have outgrown their usefulness.

I have come to realize that the same concepts in dream interpretation can be applied to us in wakefulness.  The character Rafiki in the Lion King movie said, "Look beyond what you see."  Yes, I know that this quote is from a cartoon that was intended for children, but it is no less profound and if its targeted audience absorbs that message it could prove to very beneficial. 

Events happen in our lives for very specific reasons and if it seems like the same thing keeps happening then its intended lesson has not been learned.  Our souls attract to us what we need for spiritual development.  We have to look beyond what we see in order to truly reap the benefits of the happenings in our lives- whether they seem good or bad.  

One bright day in the middle of night two dead boys rose to fight.  Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot one another.  A deaf policeman heard the noise, and saved the lives of the two dead boys.  If you don't believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.  ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Hello. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I like your post today! I believe the same to be true - That dreams aren't supposed to be taken literally. I am going to pay more attention to that in my wakefulness as well. :) Thank You. But what do you think it means when you have re-occuring dreams about all of your teeth falling out? :) hmm, Maybe its that I can't control something - it's just going to happen. Anyway - fun topic!
    Take care,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one really hits home. I often think why do things always seem to be such a struggle for me. Perhaps I keep getting the same becuase I keep emitting the same. I know life should be much more enjoyable and easier than what I have experienced thus far. Thanks for this very insightful post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!