Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dreamers

It is really important to allow yourself to dream.

As a mother and a grown up I somehow lost focus on myself and decided to dream only for my children.  I look at the three of them and I see infinite potential.  I envision a world where they can conquer any and everything.

My five year old daughter refers to herself as a princess and through her eyes I see her as such.

My oldest son very loudly and squeakily plays a recorder at home.  It is an instrument that he got from his music class at school.  He relaxes and lets himself feel the music as he toots with all his heart.  The sound is not exactly melodious, but he believes that he is making beautiful music.  He asked me to post a video of him on YouTube because in his soul he knows that anyone would surely appreciate and be inspired by his sweet-sounding tunes.

Their little brother asked me today if he can fly.  He is a superhero, so of course he wants to know and explore every power that he has.  Some days he is Super Man  and sometimes he is Batman.  Right now he is focusing his energy on being the best Iron Man there is. 

They are dreamers.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."  If that is the case I am positively doomed unless I take a lesson from my children.

Somehow along the way I became a "realist" and started operating with fear instead of passion in my heart. Recent events in my life and my kids have caused me to rethink my position on dreaming.  I have come to learn that it is essential to have dreams not only for your children, but for yourself as well.  As adults we lose focus on how to believe with reckless abandon.  We get too busy planning, scheduling and worrying.  We surrender ourselves to adulthood and starve our dreams.

Children have a lot to teach us.  They believe that anything is possible and that their dreams with all their splendor are part of what makes life enjoyable.  They don't place limits on themselves and they expect that their lives will be beautiful, fantastical never-ending adventures.  

My eight year old son believes that he can be a famous football playing recorder star, my five year old daughter knows that she is the epitome of grace and royalty and my three year old son is Iron Man.  Because they believe it, it is so.

What do you believe?

1 comment:

  1. Once again, very insightful. I look forward to and enjoy reading your thoughts on life. It definitely let's me in your head a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!